From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RUBYOPT="-rauto_gem"
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 07:02:31
1 On 15 January 2012 18:21, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/15/2012 05:24 PM, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi all,
5 >>
6 >> The dev-ruby/rubygems ebuild adds "-rauto_gem" to the global RUBYOPT.
7 >> This breaks my own scripts so I have removed it from /etc/env.d. So
8 >> far, so good.
9 >>
10 >> I just tried upgrading dev-ruby/json and it failed because I did not
11 >> have RUBYOPT set. Obviously, the "fix" was easy but now I'm wondering
12 >> ... is this really the best approach?
13 >>
14 >> It does not seem like a good idea that the rubygems ebuild sets
15 >> RUBYOPT and subsequent (Ruby Gems related) emerges break without it.
16 >> Would it not be simpler and more reliable if ebuilds that need it
17 >> simply execute "export RUBYOPT=..." prior to running? Why does it have
18 >> to be in the global environment, forcing it on every user?
19 >>
20 >> If there is a requirement for this to be in the global environment,
21 >> what is the consequence of unsetting RUBYOPT in my own .bashrc (or
22 >> similar)? Is that "safe"? Or does that break something that I simply
23 >> haven't noticed yet?
26 > (1) I don't know much about ruby packaging
27 >
28 > (2) Keeping (1) in mind, I agree with you
29
30 Good. Thanks.
31
32 > (3) You're asking the wrong people
33 >
34 > Try asking on the -dev list, or filing a bug. They'll just close it if it's
35 > considered invalid.
36
37 Yeah, I went back and forth. I figured (hoped?) that gentoo-dev is
38 (more or less) a subset of gentoo-user so I should reach (most of) the
39 devs this way too. Maybe I'm naive. :-)
40
41 We have too many open bugs already so I'll wait until (hopefully) I
42 see a few more responses before I file a bug. That way there's less
43 chance of an invalid bug and I may save some valuable dev time.
44
45 > This bit me once long ago: ruby scripts running from cron don't have their
46 > RUBYOPT set, so scripts that normally work "magically" fail. Since I never
47 > set RUBYOPT myself, I didn't expect it to be set. Of course, I just forgot
48 > to require rubygems in my script.