From: smallnow <smallnow@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] locale issue to clean up
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 01:14:28
1 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > You should have a directory in /usr/share/locale for every locale you
3 > want available on your system. The source files for the locales should
4 > be in /usr/share/i18n/locales and /usr/share/i18n/charsets. That is,
5 > you should have all of the following:
6 >
7 > /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_US
8 > /usr/share/i18n/charsets/ISO8859-1
9 > /usr/share/i18n/charsets/UTF-8
10 > /usr/share/locale/en_US.ISO8859-1
11 > /usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8
12
13 Um, on my system, i have
14 /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF-8.gz
15 /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/IS8859-1.gz
16 notice charmaps vs charsets
17 the other folders all have en_US files and folders, no utf8 extensions. And my
18 locale stuff seems to work fine. Do you actually have those files on your
19 computer or did you just type them from memory and get them wrong?
20 I do locale -a and get:
21 C
22 POSIX
23 en_US
24 en_US.iso88591
25 en_US.utf8
26 also, I do locale-gen and it succeeds and I don't get any of the files you
27 mentioned.
28
29 Heres my suggestion to the original poster. I would heed the warning in the
30 gentoo guide not to set LC_ALL. I also have a lot of other files under those
31 directories and I would just leave them alone, but if you want to delete them,
32 just move them so you can move them back later if it doesn't help. I think one
33 of your problems might be that you need to set all your locale variables in
34 02locale. Then do "eselect env update" and relogin. Also you should have 644
35 permissions on these files.
36
37 cat /etc/env.d/02locale
38 LANG="en_US.UTF-8"