From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] locale issue to clean up
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 03:10:48
1 On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 5:14 PM, smallnow <smallnow@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mike Edenfield wrote:
3 >> You should have a directory in /usr/share/locale for every locale you
4 >> want available on your system. The source files for the locales should
5 >> be in /usr/share/i18n/locales and /usr/share/i18n/charsets. That is,
6 >> you should have all of the following:
7 >>
8 >> /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_US
9 >> /usr/share/i18n/charsets/ISO8859-1
10 >> /usr/share/i18n/charsets/UTF-8
11 >> /usr/share/locale/en_US.ISO8859-1
12 >> /usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8
13 >
14 > Um, on my system, i have
15 > /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF-8.gz
16 > /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/IS8859-1.gz
17 > notice charmaps vs charsets
18 > the other folders all have en_US files and folders, no utf8 extensions. And my
19 > locale stuff seems to work fine. Do you actually have those files on your
20 > computer or did you just type them from memory and get them wrong?
21 > I do locale -a and get:
22 > C
23 > POSIX
24 > en_US
25 > en_US.iso88591
26 > en_US.utf8
27 > also, I do locale-gen and it succeeds and I don't get any of the files you
28 > mentioned.
29 >
30 > Heres my suggestion to the original poster. I would heed the warning in the
31 > gentoo guide not to set LC_ALL. I also have a lot of other files under those
32 > directories and I would just leave them alone, but if you want to delete them,
33 > just move them so you can move them back later if it doesn't help. I think one
34 > of your problems might be that you need to set all your locale variables in
35 > 02locale. Then do "eselect env update" and relogin. Also you should have 644
36 > permissions on these files.
37 >
38 > cat /etc/env.d/02locale
39 > LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
40 > LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
41 > LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
42 > LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
43 > LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
44 > LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
45 > LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
46 > LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
47 > LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
48 > LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
49 > LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
50 > LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
51 > LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
54 > cat /etc/locale.gen
55 >
56 > en_US ISO-8859-1
57 > en_US.utf8 UTF-8
60 You may be correct about setting all of this in 02locale. I noticed
61 that the Gentoo formatting stuff for vi is treating LC_ALL and
62 LC_COLLATE differently than LINGUAS. The manual seems to say set
63 system wide stuff in 02locale and user stuff in your own account.
64
65 [[ Two minutes later... ]]
66
67 OK, I changed 02locale and just put your values in. I rane eselect env
68 update, logged out and back in. For the first time locale -a looks
69 good:
70
71 lightning ~ # locale
72 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
73 LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
74 LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
75 LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
76 LC_COLLATE=POSIX
77 LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
78 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
79 LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
80 LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
81 LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
82 LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
83 LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
84 LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
85 LC_ALL=
86 lightning ~ # locale -a
87 C
88 POSIX
89 en_US
90 en_US.iso88591
91 en_US.utf8
92 lightning ~ #
93
94 At this point I may be clean but I'm going to emerge glibc just to be sure.
95
96 Back later...
97
98 Cheers,