From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 22:01:00
1 On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/02/2012 04:34 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Michael Orlitzky<michael@××××××××.com>
5 >>  wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> On 01/02/2012 04:11 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>>
10 >>>> cocktail
11 >>>> Neil's suggestion of sets sounds like what you want here. Unfortunately
12 >>>> it only works smoothly on first emerge (later on you have to dig
13 >>>> through dep graphs to find the full dep list):
14 >>>>
15 >>>> First run emerge -p to find all the packages that will be pulled in,
16 >>>> and add the whole lot to a set with a clear name that indicates it's
17 >>>> function. Then emerge that set. As you discover further deps you can
18 >>>> manually add them to the set
19 >>>>
20 >>>> It's quite a lot of extra work and you have to remember to do it, but
21 >>>> it has the benefit of being somewhat self-documenting, at least in
22 >>>> terms of having a record of what set pulled a package in initially.
23 >>>>
24 >>>
25 >>> Requires time travel, not a solution!
28 >> Seriously. Do you want a solution, or do you just want to rant about a
29 >> change to the behavior of --update?
32 > All I originally wanted to know was if anyone had a real reason to prefer
33 > the current behavior over the old.
34
35 Ah. I must have gotten confused at "So which ones can I remove?
36 Solutions involving time travel and/or losing customers will be
37 disqualified."
40 > I've shown that there's a problem with the current behavior; if there are no
41 > real problems with the old behavior, then it's worth raising the issue.
42
43 Ah. Then based on the conversation thus far, it sounds like you'd have
44 to ask the developer who made the change.
47 > I know how to avoid the problem in the future, but there are plenty of other
48 > Gentoo users who don't, and who also won't be able to fix today's mistakes a
49 > year from now.
52 :wq