From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome-control-center any way to configure without pulseaudio?
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:38:40
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 01/24/2012 10:52 PM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > >> I just scanned through the gnome-control-center code looking for clues
7 > >> about pulse and found no sign that pulse is voluntary.
8 >
9 > > So what would happen if I installed pulse and just didn't
10 > > start the thing, what would I lose then?
11 >
12 > I tried that and found that the gnome applet for controlling the volume
13 > and mixer controls won't work without pulse. You can use some other app
14 > to change the volume, I suppose, but I didn't bother to try it. Seems
15 > like a losing battle in the long run. Maybe if we wait long enough pulse
16 > will actually become useful to ordinary everyday users.
19 I can use amixer to change the volume, so that is fine with me.
22 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
23 How do
24 you spend it?
25
26 John Covici