From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome-control-center any way to configure without pulseaudio?
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 13:26:35
1 On 01/24/2012 10:52 PM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 >> I just scanned through the gnome-control-center code looking for clues
5 >> about pulse and found no sign that pulse is voluntary.
6
7 > So what would happen if I installed pulse and just didn't
8 > start the thing, what would I lose then?
9
10 I tried that and found that the gnome applet for controlling the volume
11 and mixer controls won't work without pulse. You can use some other app
12 to change the volume, I suppose, but I didn't bother to try it. Seems
13 like a losing battle in the long run. Maybe if we wait long enough pulse
14 will actually become useful to ordinary everyday users.