From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome-control-center any way to configure without pulseaudio?
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 06:53:42
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 01/24/2012 01:14 PM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > Hi. I am upgrading gnome to gnome3 and I find that at least
5 > > gnome-control-center wants pulseaudio, but I hate pulseaudio and, if
6 > > possible, don't want to install it at all. I did configure
7 > > package.provided to not compile, but gnome-control-center seems to
8 > > require it. Anyway to get around this?
9 >
10 > I feel the same, and I've started using xfce4 instead of gnome3 because
11 > they don't require any sound daemon (yet) and the new gnome-shell won't
12 > run on my old video hardware anyway.
13 >
14 > I just scanned through the gnome-control-center code looking for clues
15 > about pulse and found no sign that pulse is voluntary. There are no
16 > config options to enable or disable pulse, so it appears that pulse is
17 > here to stay in gnome3.
18 >
19 > <oldfart>
20 > I doubt that one in a hundred computer users would know how to use pulse
21 > to fix sound problems even *if* pulse is the right solution. A long way
22 > yet to go before pulse will be anything but a curse to me :(
23 > </oldfart>
24 >
25 Yep, I agree. So what would happen if I installed pulse and just didn't
26 start the thing, what would I lose then?
27
28 Seems like a waste of disk space to me.
31 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
32 How do
33 you spend it?
34
35 John Covici