From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Some symbols render incomplete in text mode
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 10:58:26
1 On Saturday, 30 April 2022 12:49:59 BST gevisz wrote:
2 > пт, 29 апр. 2022 г. в 00:42, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>:
3 > > Am Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 09:20:08PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
4 > > > ср, 27 апр. 2022 г. в 13:55, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>:
5 > > > > Am Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:57:49PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
6 > > > > > After a recent update of my Gentoo system, I have noticed that some
7 > > > > > symbols may be rendered incomplete in a text mode.
8 > > > >
9 > > > > What exactly do you mean with “text mode”?
10 > > >
11 > > > By "text mode" I mean that "it happened in Gvim, in a web-browser
12 > > > and in a dialog-window for saving files" but not in videos or pictures.
13 > >
14 > > I see, you mean text that was actually rendered and not part of an image.
15 >
16 > Yes. Thank you for replying to this thread once more.
17 >
18 > Yesterday evening I finally managed to catch the problem
19 > with incomplete rendering of cyrillic letters "in text mode"
20 > and make a screenshot of it. This time, it happened in
21 > html page that was open in google-chrome.
22 >
23 > A properly cropped screenshot of it is attached to this email.
24 >
25 > As it may happen that you and other readers of this thread
26 > are not familiar with cyrillic letters to the extent needed to see
27 > that they are rendered incomplete, I also add a screenshot
28 > of the same text rendered complete. I made it this morning
29 > with the same google-chrome.
30 >
31 > By the way, this means that the problem appears from time
32 > to time and does not look to be easily reproducible.
33 >
34 > I even assume that it may be a hardware problem
35 > as my computer is quite old, but unfortunately
36 > can not check this assumption so far.
37 >
38 > > I noticed that those applications you mention are all GTK-based.
39 >
40 > Yes, I try not to mix GTK and Qt on this old computer
41 > as much as possible to reduce the time needed
42 > to update the system. So, most of the applications on
43 > it use GTK. The only one that I know uses Qt is VLC
44 > as it does not work properly with GTK. However, I use
45 > it quite rarely.
46 >
47 > > Do you have any available that are built on Qt (or any other toolkit)?
48 >
49 > I am afraid that VLC is the only one.
50 > Once tried Qutebrowser was removed a long time ago.
51 >
52 > > I can’t say that I have seen that youtube issue before. But I also have no
53 > > idea what it could be or how to solve it. Could you create a new browser
54 > > profile and check whether the issue is still present there? This could
55 > > tell
56 > > us whether it’s an issue with your existing profile.
57 >
58 > I will try to create a new user and run google-chrome from his profile
59 > and report the result here.
60 >
61 > However, when the disk with my /home directory
62 > was for a few months installed on another computer
63 > also runned by Gentoo with similar configuration
64 > I have not noticed such problems.
65 >
66 > Moreover, I am starting to suspect that
67 > the problem with incomplete rendering letters
68 > "in text mode" and the problem with symbols
69 > in the youtube video player toolbar may be
70 > separate ones as the latter is much more
71 > reproducible and appears only in google-chrome
72 > (have not noticed it in Firefox, for example,
73 > though I quite rarely use Firefox to view youtube videos).
74
75 I can't offer much help on this, but I'll share a similar experience. I have
76 seen something like this happening on Chromium, running on Enlightenment
77 desktop a few years ago. I recall it was affected by the scale set on the
78 desktop 1.2:1 or something like that. I can't recall if this was also
79 occurring on Plasma. I think I saw the same missing character problem on the
80 title bar of the browser window. This was on English text (UTF8 encoding).
81 Firefox and other applications didn't have a problem. At that time I recall
82 Chromium's rendering of the menu/toolbar and window border was fighting against
83 the desktop. Some update on Chromium eventually fixed things. So I blamed it
84 on the interplay between the desktop, browser and graphics card/driver
85 (radeon).