From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Some symbols render incomplete in text mode
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 18:49:08
1 вс, 1 мая 2022 г. в 13:58, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>:
2 >
3 > On Saturday, 30 April 2022 12:49:59 BST gevisz wrote:
4 > > пт, 29 апр. 2022 г. в 00:42, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>:
5 > > > Am Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 09:20:08PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
6 > > > > ср, 27 апр. 2022 г. в 13:55, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>:
7 > > > > > Am Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:57:49PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
8 > > > > > > After a recent update of my Gentoo system, I have noticed that some
9 > > > > > > symbols may be rendered incomplete in a text mode.
10 > > > > >
11 > > > > > What exactly do you mean with “text mode”?
12 > > > >
13 > > > > By "text mode" I mean that "it happened in Gvim, in a web-browser
14 > > > > and in a dialog-window for saving files" but not in videos or pictures.
15 > > >
16 > > > I see, you mean text that was actually rendered and not part of an image.
17 > >
18 > > Yes. Thank you for replying to this thread once more.
19 > >
20 > > Yesterday evening I finally managed to catch the problem
21 > > with incomplete rendering of cyrillic letters "in text mode"
22 > > and make a screenshot of it. This time, it happened in
23 > > html page that was open in google-chrome.
24 > >
25 > > A properly cropped screenshot of it is attached to this email.
26 > >
27 > > As it may happen that you and other readers of this thread
28 > > are not familiar with cyrillic letters to the extent needed to see
29 > > that they are rendered incomplete, I also add a screenshot
30 > > of the same text rendered complete. I made it this morning
31 > > with the same google-chrome.
32 > >
33 > > By the way, this means that the problem appears from time
34 > > to time and does not look to be easily reproducible.
35 > >
36 > > I even assume that it may be a hardware problem
37 > > as my computer is quite old, but unfortunately
38 > > can not check this assumption so far.
39 > >
40 > > > I noticed that those applications you mention are all GTK-based.
41 > >
42 > > Yes, I try not to mix GTK and Qt on this old computer
43 > > as much as possible to reduce the time needed
44 > > to update the system. So, most of the applications on
45 > > it use GTK. The only one that I know uses Qt is VLC
46 > > as it does not work properly with GTK. However, I use
47 > > it quite rarely.
48 > >
49 > > > Do you have any available that are built on Qt (or any other toolkit)?
50 > >
51 > > I am afraid that VLC is the only one.
52 > > Once tried Qutebrowser was removed a long time ago.
53 > >
54 > > > I can’t say that I have seen that youtube issue before. But I also have no
55 > > > idea what it could be or how to solve it. Could you create a new browser
56 > > > profile and check whether the issue is still present there? This could
57 > > > tell
58 > > > us whether it’s an issue with your existing profile.
59 > >
60 > > I will try to create a new user and run google-chrome from his profile
61 > > and report the result here.
62 > >
63 > > However, when the disk with my /home directory
64 > > was for a few months installed on another computer
65 > > also runned by Gentoo with similar configuration
66 > > I have not noticed such problems.
67 > >
68 > > Moreover, I am starting to suspect that
69 > > the problem with incomplete rendering letters
70 > > "in text mode" and the problem with symbols
71 > > in the youtube video player toolbar may be
72 > > separate ones as the latter is much more
73 > > reproducible and appears only in google-chrome
74 > > (have not noticed it in Firefox, for example,
75 > > though I quite rarely use Firefox to view youtube videos).
76 >
77 > I can't offer much help on this, but I'll share a similar experience. I have
78 > seen something like this happening on Chromium, running on Enlightenment
79 > desktop a few years ago. I recall it was affected by the scale set on the
80 > desktop 1.2:1 or something like that. I can't recall if this was also
81 > occurring on Plasma. I think I saw the same missing character problem on the
82 > title bar of the browser window. This was on English text (UTF8 encoding).
83 > Firefox and other applications didn't have a problem. At that time I recall
84 > Chromium's rendering of the menu/toolbar and window border was fighting against
85 > the desktop. Some update on Chromium eventually fixed things. So I blamed it
86 > on the interplay between the desktop, browser and graphics card/driver
87 > (radeon).
88
89 Thank you for your input. My graphic card is also Radeon,
90 namely, built-in ATI Radeon X1250, and I use Awesome WM.
91 The problem appears mostly in google-chrome, but I saw it
92 also in Gvim, and currently it appeared also in the taskbar.
93 A properly cropped screenshot is attached to this message.

uncomplete_rendering_in_taskbar.png image/png