From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Some symbols render incomplete in text mode
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 12:04:25
1 On Sunday, 1 May 2022 19:46:45 BST gevisz wrote:
2 > вс, 1 мая 2022 г. в 13:58, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>:
3 > > On Saturday, 30 April 2022 12:49:59 BST gevisz wrote:
4
5 > > > Moreover, I am starting to suspect that
6 > > > the problem with incomplete rendering letters
7 > > > "in text mode" and the problem with symbols
8 > > > in the youtube video player toolbar may be
9 > > > separate ones as the latter is much more
10 > > > reproducible and appears only in google-chrome
11 > > > (have not noticed it in Firefox, for example,
12 > > > though I quite rarely use Firefox to view youtube videos).
13 > >
14 > > I can't offer much help on this, but I'll share a similar experience. I
15 > > have seen something like this happening on Chromium, running on
16 > > Enlightenment desktop a few years ago. I recall it was affected by the
17 > > scale set on the desktop 1.2:1 or something like that. I can't recall if
18 > > this was also occurring on Plasma. I think I saw the same missing
19 > > character problem on the title bar of the browser window. This was on
20 > > English text (UTF8 encoding). Firefox and other applications didn't have
21 > > a problem. At that time I recall Chromium's rendering of the
22 > > menu/toolbar and window border was fighting against the desktop. Some
23 > > update on Chromium eventually fixed things. So I blamed it on the
24 > > interplay between the desktop, browser and graphics card/driver (radeon).
25 >
26 > Thank you for your input. My graphic card is also Radeon,
27 > namely, built-in ATI Radeon X1250, and I use Awesome WM.
28 > The problem appears mostly in google-chrome, but I saw it
29 > also in Gvim, and currently it appeared also in the taskbar.
30 > A properly cropped screenshot is attached to this message.
31
32 I suspect some interaction between your window manager and graphics driver
33 causes your character and symbol rendering problem. You may want to install a
34 different window manager and see if the problem remains, then approach the
35 Awesome devs to help you with troubleshooting. It's not unusual for less
36 mainstream WM devs to focus their code on NVidia/Intel, or whatever hardware
37 and drivers they have at their disposal and miss out on such problems like
38 yours until they are drawn to their attention.