From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Some symbols render incomplete in text mode
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 19:56:31
1 пн, 2 мая 2022 г. в 15:04, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>:
2 >
3 > On Sunday, 1 May 2022 19:46:45 BST gevisz wrote:
4 > > вс, 1 мая 2022 г. в 13:58, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>:
5 > > > On Saturday, 30 April 2022 12:49:59 BST gevisz wrote:
6 >
7 > > > > Moreover, I am starting to suspect that
8 > > > > the problem with incomplete rendering letters
9 > > > > "in text mode" and the problem with symbols
10 > > > > in the youtube video player toolbar may be
11 > > > > separate ones as the latter is much more
12 > > > > reproducible and appears only in google-chrome
13 > > > > (have not noticed it in Firefox, for example,
14 > > > > though I quite rarely use Firefox to view youtube videos).
15 > > >
16 > > > I can't offer much help on this, but I'll share a similar experience. I
17 > > > have seen something like this happening on Chromium, running on
18 > > > Enlightenment desktop a few years ago. I recall it was affected by the
19 > > > scale set on the desktop 1.2:1 or something like that. I can't recall if
20 > > > this was also occurring on Plasma. I think I saw the same missing
21 > > > character problem on the title bar of the browser window. This was on
22 > > > English text (UTF8 encoding). Firefox and other applications didn't have
23 > > > a problem. At that time I recall Chromium's rendering of the
24 > > > menu/toolbar and window border was fighting against the desktop. Some
25 > > > update on Chromium eventually fixed things. So I blamed it on the
26 > > > interplay between the desktop, browser and graphics card/driver (radeon).
27 > >
28 > > Thank you for your input. My graphic card is also Radeon,
29 > > namely, built-in ATI Radeon X1250, and I use Awesome WM.
30 > > The problem appears mostly in google-chrome, but I saw it
31 > > also in Gvim, and currently it appeared also in the taskbar.
32 > > A properly cropped screenshot is attached to this message.
33 >
34 > I suspect some interaction between your window manager and graphics driver
35 > causes your character and symbol rendering problem. You may want to install a
36 > different window manager and see if the problem remains,
37
38 Thank you. I will try another WM, probably XFCE4, which
39 I have used before Awesome (among other options)
40 and report my finding in this thread.
41
42 > then approach the Awesome devs to help you with troubleshooting.
43 > It's not unusual for less mainstream WM devs to focus their code
44 > on NVidia/Intel, or whatever hardware and drivers they have at their
45 > disposal and miss out on such problems like yours until they are drawn
46 > to their attention.