From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo failed to start
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 19:18:09
1 On 9/1/06, Stephen Liu <satimis@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Ran
3 > # ls -l /mnt/gentoo/boot
4 > boot -> .
5 > grub
6 > lost+found
7
8 Well, this is why you cannot boot. You do not have a kernel image in /boot.
9
10 Are you actually _following_ the guide that you posted a link to
11 originally, because you seem to have missed[1]:
12
13 """
14 When the kernel has finished compiling, copy the kernel image to
15 /boot. Use whatever name you feel is appropriate for your kernel
16 choice and remember it as you will need it later on when you configure
17 your bootloader. Remember to replace kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r5 with the
18 name and version of your kernel.
19
20 Code Listing 13: Installing the kernel
21
22 # cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r5
23 """
24
25 > It looks to me quite funny. It seems continue endlessly. boot was
26 > symlink to "."
27
28 No, this is normal. It is to allow people to use hd(X,Y)/boot/kernel,
29 even if hd(X,Y) is the "/boto" filesystem.
30
31 > There was no kernel nor bzimage there.
32
33 Yes, you need to compile and install a kernel.
34
35 > > PS: please stop top-posting.
36 >
37 > Sorry I don't follow. Please advise. This is webmail direct from
38 > Yahoo site. I checked the mail option and could not find any
39 > top-posting option there.
42 Top-posting[2] means that you are inserting your message above
43 mine...and fully quoting my message. It means that if somebody wants
44 to read this thread in the archives, they will have to read it
45 starting at the bottom for it to make sense. It also means you are
46 sending out a lot more text to the other subscribers on this list than
47 you need to be, because you are sending my message in it's
48 entirety...and the other subscribers have already received that.
49
50 On this list, bottom-posting or interleaved replies is the normal
51 format. So for yahoo, first delete out any parts of the quoted
52 message that you are not responding to. Then insert your responses
53 below.
54
55 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=7
56 [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting