From: Stephen Liu <satimis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo failed to start
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 23:53:19
1 Hi Richard,
2
3 > On 9/1/06, Stephen Liu <satimis@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Ran
5 > > # ls -l /mnt/gentoo/boot
6 > > boot -> .
7 > > grub
8 > > lost+found
9 >
10 > Well, this is why you cannot boot. You do not have a kernel image in
11 > /boot.
12 >
13 > Are you actually _following_ the guide that you posted a link to
14 > originally, because you seem to have missed[1]:
15 >
16 > """
17 > When the kernel has finished compiling, copy the kernel image to
18 > /boot. Use whatever name you feel is appropriate for your kernel
19 > choice and remember it as you will need it later on when you
20 > configure
21 > your bootloader. Remember to replace kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r5 with the
22 > name and version of your kernel.
23 >
24 > Code Listing 13: Installing the kernel
25 >
26 > # cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r5
27 > """
28 >
29 > > It looks to me quite funny. It seems continue endlessly. boot was
30 > > symlink to "."
31
32 I completed all steps listed there at least in 2 rounds. I found;
33 # ls -l /usr/src/linux
34 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Oct 13 11:04 /usr/src/linux ->
35 linux-2.6.17-gentoo-r7
36
37 there. But now it disppears. I don't know why?. Even I can't find
38 the directory "src" after chroot. Another directory I failed to find
39 was "modules". I ran;
40
41 # find / -name src -type d
42 and
43 # find / -name modules -type d
44 Both no printout
45
46 and could not find it. Beside the command "env-update", emerge, etc.
47 were not found on "bash".
48
49 I think I have to run another round again wiping out the complete HD.
52 Another thing, what did you mean "...Use whatever name you feel is
53 appropriate for your kernel choice and remember it as you will need it
54 later on when you configure your bootloader. Remember to replace
55 kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r5 with the name and version of your kernel."
56
57 I used "kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r7" previously.
58
59 Tks.
60
61 B.R.