From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo failed to start
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 01:57:57
1 On 9/1/06, Stephen Liu <satimis@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I think I have to run another round again wiping out the complete HD.
3
4 Yeah, I think so...
5
6 > Another thing, what did you mean "...Use whatever name you feel is
7 > appropriate for your kernel choice and remember it as you will need it
8 > later on when you configure your bootloader. Remember to replace
9 > kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r5 with the name and version of your kernel."
10
11 When you compile the kernel, it is going to build a file called
12 bzImage, that you have to copy to /boot. But it is very rare to copy
13 it to /boot/bzImage...most linux users will rename the file to
14 something else. Some people (and helper scripts like genkernel)
15 prefer to use the full version of the kernel, so if you build a kernel
16 from gentoo-sources-2.6.17-r5, you might:
17
18 cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/linux-2.6.17-gentoo-r5
19 ... or ...
20 cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-gentoo-r5
21 ... or ...
22 cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/mykernel-17r5
23
24 It is usually a good idea to keep a backup kernel in /boot that you
25 can use in case a kernel upgrade goes wrong. So I usually keep 2
26 kernels, /boot/vmlinuz-2.6 and /boot/vmlinuz-safe. Once I know that
27 vmlinuz-2.6 boots and works reliably, I will copy it to -safe.
28
29 The second part about remembering the name for your boot loader refers
30 to your menu.lst/grub.conf entries. You must specify the actual name
31 that you copied your kernel image to, or (as you already saw), you
32 will get a "file not found" when you try to boot.
33
34 So if you copy bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.6, you must use an entry like:
35
36 title Whatever
37 kernel hd(0,0)/vmlinuz-2.6 ...
38
39 The title doesn't really matter, but the "kernel" line needs to
40 reference your actual kernel file.
41
42 Clear?
43