From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libpng15: fltk & graphicsmagick failed to build
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:08:18
1 On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 12:59 PM,  <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 >> Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> [11-10-17 18:40]:
4 >>> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM,  <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
5 >>> > Hi,
6 >>> >
7 >>> > after updating to lipng15 and rebuilding all needed stuff, fltk
8 >>> > and graphicsmagick exhibit build failures:
9 >>> >
10 >>>
11 >>> I got similar errors for some other package on my wife's machine last
12 >>> night. In that case they were solved by using the ~amd64 version of
13 >>> the package.
14 >>>
15 >>> - Mark
16 >>>
17 >>
18 >> ...and I thought, the credo is "dont mix 'em"....
19 >
20 > Unless you know what you're doing, or can avoid annoying someone who does.
21 >
22 > This is a transition period for libpng, and those are always messy.
23 > They're still working on getting things stabilized, as a lot of
24 > currently masked versions are the only versions with libpng15 support.
25
26 Hm. Actually, there's a phrase someone I know likes to say: "There are
27 universal principles, but there are no universal applications." So you
28 shouldn't mix 'em, except when you have to.
29
30 (Though, if you find you have to, it's probably worthwhile filing a
31 bug asking for a stabilization request.)
34 :wq