From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]How can i remove the xfce clearly?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 23:17:15
1 Am 21.04.2012 20:39, schrieb ny6p01@×××××.com:
2 > On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 09:45:49AM +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >> Am 21.04.2012 05:27, schrieb ??????:
4 >>> I just install the xfce a few days ago, But i find i didn't like it . So
5 >>> i want to remove it and install the Gnome . How can i remove the xfce
6 >>> clearly ?
7 >>>
8 >>> --
9 >>> ????????????????????????
10 >>
11 >> Gnome and Xfce share many libraries. Therefore it is best to install
12 >> Gnome first, before removing Xfce. Otherwise you will remove libraries
13 >> which you will later re-emerge for Gnome.
14 >>
15 >> Then you need to configure your display manager (kdm, gdm, xdm) to use
16 >> Gnome instead of Xfce. Kdm and Gdm should allow you to do that directly
17 >> on the login screen.
18 >>
19 >> When you are satisfied with Gnome, edit /var/lib/portage/world and
20 >> remove every line containing an Xfce package. Then run `emerge -av
21 >> --depclean` and you are done.
22 >>
23 >> You could continue to remove config files but that is usually not worth
24 >> the trouble.
25 >>
26 >> Hope this helps,
27 >> Florian Philipp
31 > Do I understand you correctly that it is not necessary to run emerge
32 > -unmerge first before removing the atoms from @world and running emerge
33 > --depclean?
34 >
35 > Terry
38 Yes. I think it is also mentioned in the gentoo handbook. In fact, you
39 should not use --unmerge because it doesn't check dependencies before
40 removing the package.
41
42 If you want to delete a package only if no other package depends on it,
43 either remove it from world or use
44 `emerge -av --depclean <package_name>`.
45 The latter has the advantage of also telling you what depends on it.
46
47 Regards,
48 Florian Philipp