From: gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rate limiting TCP connections...
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:23:56
1 Mick wrote:
2 > I think that the problem is associated with the way that the Linux box treats
3 > bind requests. Other than QoS which will try to allocate some bandwidth to
4 > bind packets, or nice which will elevate bind's processes - you may want to
5 > check your kernel's IO scheduler and set it to something that will give each
6 > process an equal bite of the cherry. Trial & error may get you there.
7 >
8 I don't think QOS is the right answer - since I've never seen this
9 problem before - and I've never used QOS on Linux before. I think that
10 the scheduler might explain things far better. I half-remember something
11 about the inclusion of the new "CFS" scheduler when I compiled the
12 kernel - maybe the default changed when I moved to the 2.6.23-gentoo-r3
13 kernel from - erm - some older 2.6 version many months ago.
14
15 Maybe I should upgrade to the latest kernel (I'm reluctant to do this in
16 a hurry - since I've lost my notes on which kernel options I'd activated
17 - and it's a 'live' box I'm using on a day-to-day basis that I'd rather
18 not break. Doah!)
19 > A workaround to avoid WinXP name requests timing out is to manually set at
20 > your WinXP clients the Netgear's IP address as their secondary DNS server.
21 >
22 That's a fantastic hack... I like the idea... though, obviously, if it
23 were trivial, I'd prefer Bind on gentoo not to hang. ;)
24 >> My router is a "Netgear Wireless ADSL Firewall Router" - it seems pretty
25 >> common... and I've not found other people moaning that it has
26 >> problems... For me, it only has problems when accessed from my Linux box.
27 >>
28 > I used to run a Netgear DG834 and did not notice anything like this. After a
29 > few seconds the Gentoo and WinXP clients would share the bandwidth -
30 > irrespective of which one started downloading first. WinXP might have been
31 > slightly more hesitant to start with, but after say 30 seconds it would even
32 > out. However, this was with wired full duplex connections. Wireless is half
33 > duplex, transmit and receive happens sequentially not in parallel - when
34 > downloading on the Gentoo goes at full pelt it may take longer for inbound
35 > packets to get to bind and this could make the rather short TTL that
36 > MSWindows has to time out.
37 >
38 That's encouraging. Always good to know that there are no 'known'
39 bugs... I was caught out by this a few years ago with a DLink router -
40 where I assumed it was my FreeBSD box at fault - but, actually, the
41 router had broken firmware.
42 > PS. Have you tried this with two Linux clients (use Knoppix on one of your
43 > MSWindows boxen)?
44 >
45 No, I could, I guess - but I'm 95% convinced now that this is an I/O
46 scheduling issue on my Gentoo box - and is not an issue with my router.
47
48 Many thanks.