From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rate limiting TCP connections...
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:28:24
1 On Tuesday 19 August 2008, gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk wrote:
2 > Norberto Bensa wrote:
3
4 > > Let's make an experiment:
5 > >
6 > > 1. Terminate all downloads and activity on the internet.
7 > > 2. Restart your bind (so it flushes its cache)
8 > > 3. in XP1 download something huge (an ISO image) from one souce in the
9 > > internet and wait 'til it is at full speed (does it go up to 0.5Mb??)
10 > > 4. in XP2 start to ping different sources. Does XP2 lost packets?
11 >
12 > If I do my downloading from XP (using Linux as my nameserver) everything
13 > works perfectly. My downloads max-out my ADSL connection - and not only
14 > can I ping other hosts concurrently, but I can surf the web and
15 > bandwidth is shared fairly between competing applications.
16
17 I think that the problem is associated with the way that the Linux box treats
18 bind requests. Other than QoS which will try to allocate some bandwidth to
19 bind packets, or nice which will elevate bind's processes - you may want to
20 check your kernel's IO scheduler and set it to something that will give each
21 process an equal bite of the cherry. Trial & error may get you there.
22
23 A workaround to avoid WinXP name requests timing out is to manually set at
24 your WinXP clients the Netgear's IP address as their secondary DNS server.
25
26 > My router is a "Netgear Wireless ADSL Firewall Router" - it seems pretty
27 > common... and I've not found other people moaning that it has
28 > problems... For me, it only has problems when accessed from my Linux box.
29
30 I used to run a Netgear DG834 and did not notice anything like this. After a
31 few seconds the Gentoo and WinXP clients would share the bandwidth -
32 irrespective of which one started downloading first. WinXP might have been
33 slightly more hesitant to start with, but after say 30 seconds it would even
34 out. However, this was with wired full duplex connections. Wireless is half
35 duplex, transmit and receive happens sequentially not in parallel - when
36 downloading on the Gentoo goes at full pelt it may take longer for inbound
37 packets to get to bind and this could make the rather short TTL that
38 MSWindows has to time out.
39
40 PS. Have you tried this with two Linux clients (use Knoppix on one of your
41 MSWindows boxen)?
42
43 HTH.
44 --