From: Ralph Seichter <m16+gentoo@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simple SMTP to cmd-line MTA relay?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 18:19:43
1 On 19.01.18 19:03, Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > I need to setup an SMTP relay server.
4 >
5 > It needs to accept messages as an SMTP server (using SSL and AUTH on a
6 > non-standard port) from a single user and single source and then relay
7 > them by passing them to a command-line MTA (e.g. /usr/bin/sendmail
8 > replacement provided by msmtp).
9
10 Based on your description you seem to have things backward. Sendmail is
11 used to inject mail into an MTA on the local machine, and the MTA can
12 then use SMTP to transfer said mail to another server.
13
14 If the final recipient (i.e. mailbox) is on the same server the mail is
15 generated on, the MTA can use a local transport mechanism to store mail
16 instead of passing it on via SMTP.
17
18 I suggest you clarify your goal, and ask on the Postfix mailing list
19 (or Exim, etc.) for more information.
20
21 -Ralph