From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple SMTP to cmd-line MTA relay?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 18:34:32
1 On 2018-01-19, Ralph Seichter <m16+gentoo@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 19.01.18 19:03, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> I need to setup an SMTP relay server.
5 >>
6 >> It needs to accept messages as an SMTP server (using SSL and AUTH on a
7 >> non-standard port) from a single user and single source and then relay
8 >> them by passing them to a command-line MTA (e.g. /usr/bin/sendmail
9 >> replacement provided by msmtp).
10 >
11 > Based on your description you seem to have things backward.
12
13 I want to accept incoming email via SMTP (my computer is an SMTP server).
14
15 I want to relay each of those messages by invoking a command-line
16 utility that has the same "API" as /usr/bin/sendmail. That utility
17 injects the mail into another machine's MTA.
18
19 > Sendmail is used to inject mail into an MTA on the local machine,
20 > and the MTA can then use SMTP to transfer said mail to another
21 > server.
22
23 In this case, the /usr/bin/sendmail utility transfers the message to a
24 different machine's MTA using mechanisms that are beyond the scope of
25 my question.
26
27 > If the final recipient (i.e. mailbox) is on the same server the mail is
28 > generated on, the MTA can use a local transport mechanism to store mail
29 > instead of passing it on via SMTP.
30
31 There is no local delivery. It is a relay that accepts mail via SMTP
32 and transfers it to a different MTA. The usual way to do this is to
33 accept mail as an SMTP server and then relay it to the next MTA by
34 acting as an SMTP client (e.g. via postfix's 'relayhost' setting).
35
36 Instead of transfering mail to the next MTA by acting as an SMTP
37 client, I want to transfer it by invoking a command-line utility like
38 sendmail or msmtp.
39
40 > I suggest you clarify your goal, and ask on the Postfix mailing list
41 > (or Exim, etc.) for more information.
42
43 Will do.
46 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Everywhere I look I
47 at see NEGATIVITY and ASPHALT
48 gmail.com ...