From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple SMTP to cmd-line MTA relay?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 18:52:00
1 On 01/19/2018 11:31 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I want to accept incoming email via SMTP (my computer is an SMTP server).
3
4 Okay.
5
6 So you don't need to accept mail via /usr/sbin/sendmail (et al).
7
8 Or rather, that's what you want email to leave the relay through.
9
10 > I want to relay each of those messages by invoking a command-line utility
11 > that has the same "API" as /usr/bin/sendmail. That utility injects the
12 > mail into another machine's MTA.
13
14 Okay.
15
16 Aside: I don't know that I would consider that to be an API, but I do
17 see why you consider it as such.
18
19 > In this case, the /usr/bin/sendmail utility transfers the message to a
20 > different machine's MTA using mechanisms that are beyond the scope of
21 > my question.
22
23 Okay.
24
25 > There is no local delivery. It is a relay that accepts mail via SMTP and
26 > transfers it to a different MTA. The usual way to do this is to accept
27 > mail as an SMTP server and then relay it to the next MTA by acting as
28 > an SMTP client (e.g. via postfix's 'relayhost' setting).
29 >
30 > Instead of transfering mail to the next MTA by acting as an SMTP client,
31 > I want to transfer it by invoking a command-line utility like sendmail
32 > or msmtp.
33
34 So it sounds to me like you want a gateway of sorts that speaks SMTP (as
35 a server to clients) on one side and <some custom non-SMTP method> (that
36 acts as a client to other servers) on the other side. Is that accurate?
37
38 In Sendmail parlance, what you want is a custom mailer. Said custom
39 mailer would then interface with your custom /usr/bin/sendmail
40 (emulation wrapper).
41
42 Finally, configure Sendmail to use said custom mailer as the method to
43 communicate with the smart host.
48 Grant. . . .
49 unix || die

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature