From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple SMTP to cmd-line MTA relay?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 19:02:32
1 On 2018-01-19, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > So you don't need to accept mail via /usr/sbin/sendmail (et al).
4
5 Correct.
6
7 > Or rather, that's what you want email to leave the relay through.
8
9 Correct.
10
11 >> I want to relay each of those messages by invoking a command-line
12 >> utility that has the same "API" as /usr/bin/sendmail. That utility
13 >> injects the mail into another machine's MTA.
14 >
15 > Okay.
16 >
17 > Aside: I don't know that I would consider that to be an API, but I
18 > do see why you consider it as such.
19
20 I meant the sematics and sytax of the command line options and the
21 data accepted on stdin and produced on stdout. I probably should have
22 said "usage" rather than API. Since I always use that utility from a
23 Python or Bash program, in my head that's its API.
24
25 >> In this case, the /usr/bin/sendmail utility transfers the message
26 >> to a different machine's MTA using mechanisms that are beyond the
27 >> scope of my question.
28 >
29 > Okay.
30 >
31 > So it sounds to me like you want a gateway of sorts that speaks SMTP
32 > (as a server to clients) on one side and <some custom non-SMTP
33 > method> (that acts as a client to other servers) on the other side.
34 > Is that accurate?
35
36 Exactly.
37
38 > In Sendmail parlance, what you want is a custom mailer. Said custom
39 > mailer would then interface with your custom /usr/bin/sendmail
40 > (emulation wrapper).
41 >
42 > Finally, configure Sendmail to use said custom mailer as the method
43 > to communicate with the smart host.
44
45 Thanks.
46
47 I was sort of afraid that sendmail was going to be the answer. :)
48
49 The last time I ran sendmail was on a Sun-3/60 machine, and I never
50 did quite understand how to configure it...
53 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Loni Anderson's hair
54 at should be LEGALIZED!!
55 gmail.com