From: Michael Jones <gentoo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Number of open Bugzilla bugs (Was: Question about gentoo-sources kernel release versions)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 20:48:24
1 On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 8:07 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > You could have jumped through all the required hoops and still had it
4 > ignored.
7 That's pretty horrible, honestly. Why isn't Gentoo doing better than that?
8
9 Yes, yes, Gentoo is run by volunteers, so on and so forth. But it's
10 entirely possible (and regularly accomplished in other organizations) to
11 emphasise a culture that actively tries to not ignore low hanging fruit for
12 so long.
15 > > I'm not attempting to be contradictory for the sake of being
16 > > contradictory, but the situation is significantly more complicated
17 > > than what you said
18 >
19 > Not sure how that could be. I literally said "If you do report an
20 > issue it might or might not get fixed." I'm pretty sure that hits all
21 > the examples you supplied, being that it was basically a tautology.
22 > There simply are no guarantees.
25 There's what you write, and what other people try to guess as to your
26 meaning. Apparently you intended to mean the tautology, where I instead
27 thought you meant something more interesting than that.
28
29 Honestly, this conversation is just making me less interested in
30 contributing to Gentoo in the future. Not only do 1-liner pull requests
31 that fix broken packages get rejected / not fixed for a year, but now I'm
32 being replied to with word-games when I try to discuss the issues that I
33 face as an end-user.
34
35 > Add to that, Gentoo has *so many bugs* that your bug tracking
36 > > software, when told to simply "Give me all of the bugs" refuses to
37 > > actually do so.
38 >
39 > It generally isn't a problem unless you run queries with no filters at
40 > all. Sure, if you literally ask it for "all of the bugs" you won't
41 > get them. So don't ask it for all of them. I'll note that even if we
42 > closed all the bugs you'd still get the same error unless you only
43 > asked for OPEN bugs. :)
44 >
45 > And if what you want is all old bugs closed, you can just filter by
46 > date, and then you'll get all the benefits of those bugs being
47 > filtered as far as query response limits are concerned.
50 My issue is that the list of open bugs is one of many proxy-indicators for
51 other aspects of the Gentoo development process. While fixing the list of
52 open bugs is not directly a fix for any of the potential underlying reasons
53 for the various fuzzy and not clearly identified problems, it will very
54 slightly reduce the overall "badness" while being trivial to implement. I
55 imagine bugzilla already has some kind of plugin that would accomplish this
56 that just needs to be enabled.
59 > > Why should I continue opening new bugs, (or even better, provide
60 > > patches) when I have new problems?
61 >
62 > Simple. If you provide a patch or bug you're more likely to get a
63 > response than if you don't. There are no guarantees either way.
66 That's not supported by my experiences. Anecdotes aren't data, but so far
67 the bug's reports and patches that I've provided get ignored, but the
68 issues that I just wait to get fixed for me get fixed.
69
70 So it seems to me like I should only file bugs for things that I want to
71 inflict longer wait times on the rest of the community, and I shouldn't
72 file bugs for things I actually want fixed.
73
74 If you know of anyone who's attempted to do some statistical modeling of
75 the bug fix rate in Gentoo, I would appreciate being connected to their
76 research so I can stop feeling like a fool for attempting to help.
77
78 > I don't see the problem as Gentoo not knowing that there are issues
79 > > that should be tracked. I see it as a problem of Gentoo can't engage
80 > > with it's user community in an effective way. And I see having over
81 > > 10,000 open bugs as one of the barriers between effective user
82 > > engagement and what we have today.
83 >
84 > I don't see how open bug counts are really the problem here.
87 The amount of open bugs, directly, is not the problem.
88
89 The problem is that you're lying to people if you keep a bug in bugzilla
90 open for 10+ years.
91
92 You know it won't be worked on, they know it won't be worked on. So just
93 close the bug.
94
95 > Is there ever a time cutoff, after which a bug should automatically be
96 > closed, in your opinion?
97 >
98 > No.
101 Then I'm not going to continue this discussion with you. Your perspective
102 on this is utterly incompatible with mine.
105 > > Surely if something hasn't been addressed in 20 years, it won't be?
106 >
107 > If nobody can bother to fix 20 year old bugs on some piece of
108 > software, why would you be running it today, and thus why would you be
109 > searching for bugs for it?
112 Then why is it still in the Gentoo package repository?
113
114 If it's not in the Gentoo package repository, why is there an open bug in
115 bugzilla about it?
118 > Chances are if anybody is maintaining the package then it will
119 > eventually get noticed and fixed. If nobody is maintaining it then
120 > the open bugs aren't really impeding anybody doing fixes.
123 Again, this is contrary to my experiences, and what the Gentoo bug tracker
124 has in it.
127 > > 2. The maintainer of the package in question failed to address
128 > > the problem, even to acknowledge the problems existence, in the
129 > > preceding 5 years. Maybe it fell through the cracks? Maybe it's being
130 > > deliberately ignored? Computers can do things for us automatically,
131 > > like remind people about things.
132 >
133 > The only person getting reminded is the requester. A maintainer that
134 > is deliberately ignoring bugs will be sending bot mail to /dev/null.
135 > If requesters start pinging devs in other ways to get their attention
136 > about such bugs, that seems more likely to just have these devs become
137 > more aggressive about blocking such attempts from users to
138 > communicate. That's probably part of why so few devs are on this list
139 > at all. :)
142 Why is that person allowed to be a maintainer for that package then? Sounds
143 like a pretty complete abandonment of responsibility.
144
145 And again, if the only person being reminder is the requestor, then it's
146 still a high possibility that they will check to see if the bug was fixed
147 and they didn't realize it, discover that it has been fixed, and then close
148 the bug.
149
150 I just did this process last week with another project I'm involved in and
151 had 5 bugs get closed as resolved with end-users reporting they simply
152 didn't realize the bug hadn't been closed before.
155 > > So stop making it a waste of people's time?
156 >
157 > Nobody knows how to do that. It takes effort to fix bugs, and nobody
158 > can make an AI that will tell you up-front whether a bug is likely to
159 > get fixed or not before you bother to file it.
162 There's a "WONTFIX" resolution in bugzilla. If the maintainer isn't going
163 to fix it, and they mark the issue as WONTFIX, then I won't waste my time
164 waiting. I'll either find another way to do what I'm trying to do, or
165 i'll fix the problem myself, or simply do without.
166
167 I completely get that the world would be a better place if more bugs
168 > get fixed. Honestly, though, the only concrete suggestion you've
169 > offered is to close old bugs. I'm skeptical that this would really do
170 > much to improve quality, and the only place you'd notice the change is
171 > in running super-broad queries like "give me all the open bugs" that
172 > nobody doing real work would actually look at. Maybe superficially it
173 > makes things look better if you don't know what is actually going on.
174 > For those submitting bugs though they're just getting all these bug
175 > closed messages without the bugs being closed.
178 I get 5-10 year old results almost every time I search for any bug related
179 to problems I'm experiencing. Seeing results from 10 years ago that are
180 still open means I don't report the issue again. But I don't actually know
181 that the maintainer of the package even realizes the old bug is there.
182
183 Now you're going to tell me if the old bug was closed automatically, and I
184 opened a new one, that the maintainer of the package is just as likely to
185 do anything about the new bug as the old bug.
186
187 And I'm going to pre-emptively respond by saying "Then close it as WONTFIX"
188 so I know not to waste my time, or the "maintainers" time, reporting it.
189
190 I'm not suggesting rules or actions related to policing the behavior of
191 Gentoo Developers, because I've seen first hand in the mailing list that
192 the Gentoo Developers will not be amused, to put it mildly, at that kind of
193 suggestion.
194
195 So my only recourse, as an end user, is to explain to you the problems I
196 see, and try to offer "concrete" suggestions that involve purely
197 technological solutions.
198
199 Closing bug reports after 10 years isn't perfect. Honestly I'd rather see
200 Gentoo encourage a developer community that doesn't ignore things for a
201 decade. But that's not going to happen, and I'm not suggesting it.
202
203 So instead I suggest something that can be implemented, without changing
204 anyone's behavior, and without requiring substantial work from the person
205 implementing the suggestion.
206
207 It's not a perfect solution, but perfect is the enemy of good, after all.
210 > If I'm maintaining the package foo then I'm going to ask for all the
211 > open foo bugs, and having a few 10 year old bugs in the list is no big
212 > deal. If the package is actively maintained chances are that somebody
213 > will get around to closing them if they look invalid. If the package
214 > isn't actively maintained then nobody will even look at the list
215 > except maybe a user, and the fact that 10 year old bugs are sitting
216 > around might be a useful clue that it isn't maintained.
219 Why is Gentoo shipping packages that aren't maintained? Isn't that what the
220 "last rights" emails I get from time to time are all about?
221
222 On a side note it looks like my oldest open bug is 12 years old. I'm
223 > actually not quite sure if it is valid - maybe I'll post a comment and
224 > see... :)
225 >
226 > --
227 > Rich
230 As stated in the middle of this reply, your perspective on this is
231 completely incompatible with mine, so I won't continue this conversation.
232
233 Nevertheless, thank you for discussing it with me