From: Daniel Vrcic <daniel.vrcic@××××××××.hr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fvwm: how to begin?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:31:19
1 * Pierre-Yves Rofes <gentoo@×××××.fr> [07-01-05 11:42]:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I think starting a new configuration from scratch is a really bad idea.
5 > It's boring and it will require hours to have something decent.
6 > You'd better to get a working config close from what you want, and then
7 > edit it to suit your personal needs and tastes.
8
9 Yeah, I agree to that. It's easier to adapt the someone's config than
10 start a new one from a scratch mainly beacuse you need to have a picture
11 of what you want from your WM and a right directions to start. I know
12 I should need menu, taskbar and pager, but what to read, where to
13 start from? If you're convicted only to a man pages then that's PITA. It
14 will take hours to figure out what sections of which man pages to
15 read. Written tutorials help a bit, but still it takes quite a lot to
16 become familiar with a simple options. IMHO, fvwm has a lack of the
17 good structured and a heavily cross linked documentation, the one like
18 mutt and mplayer have. There are so many options, available keywords
19 that can't be just bundled in a single man pages. There were also some
20 proposals of the default configuration which is good as a guideline, but
21 I'm sure that it wouldn't present not even the third of the available
22 customizations. So as a result you're ending up with a heavy research of
23 forums, mail lists, available configs, wiki and that takes time...
24
25 [...]
28 Daniel Vrcic
29 --