From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Looking at Sources
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 17:38:34
1 Hello,
2
3 A better method to review code?
4
5 I find myself having to audit the code inside
6 of ebuilds in order to understand how a given
7 piece of code has been changed.
8
9 So what I do is go to the /usr/portage/distfiles
10 and then use vi to look at the file listing;
11 move up and down to select the file of interest
12 and then enter the file (yes from inside of vi).
13 Not very elegant, but does not require unpacking the
14 files.
15
16 Definitely not the best approach, but, I do not
17 want the unpack the sources, most of the time.
18 Suggestions as to a better quick approach for reviewing sources?
19
20 If I want to unpack the sources and modify
21 some code, what would be the recommended semantics?
22 Maybe make a dir under /usr/local and open the packages
23 as James-overlay(package), modify the code, install it
24 and test? (What do the "Titans of code" do?)
25
26 Maybe use/hack my own slot numbers?
27 Any guidance or dev documents as to how most
28 G_devs do this is of keen interest to me.
29 I'm looking for a (proper) methodology to start cleaning
30 up some codes that are neglected. Surely there
31 is a preferred methodology?
35 James