From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads up: Gentoo fouls up mail transport agent.
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 11:20:15
1 Hello, Ralph.
2
3 On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 00:20:02 +0200, Ralph Seichter wrote:
4 > On 21.07.2018 23:03, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > Install an MTA using emerge, or let Gentoo know that you have installed
7 > qmail manually. When you work around portage, you are responsible to
8 > keep Gentoo happy in terms of dependencies. Gentoo did not "foul up",
9 > you just tried to be a tricksy fellow, unaware of the consequences. ;-)
10
11 Gentoo didn't "foul up" as such, but it did "foul up my MTA" because I
12 didn't know how to tell it not to. package.provided is documented on
13 the portage man page, but this is difficult to find, unless you already
14 know what you're looking for. I don't think there's a section entitled
15 "Including non-portage packages in Gentoo" or the like, in any
16 documentation page.
17
18 > -Ralph
21 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).