From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eix-sync data comparison
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 21:23:12
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> [14-01-11 22:16]:
2 > On 11/01/2014 22:44, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> [14-01-11 21:16]:
4 > >> On 11/01/2014 22:04, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > >>> Hi,
6 > >>>
7 > >>> suppose I would do an eix-sync on two different computers of different
8 > >>> platforms -- say AMR and an ordinary PC.
9 > >>>
10 > >>> Are the downloaded data identical?
11 > >>
12 > >> the portage tree is identical everywhere
13 > >>
14 > >> the overlays that layman uses are identical everywhere, but possibly not
15 > >> identical between your two hosts. I can easily imagine you have
16 > >> different overlays between them, and no guarantee they will always be
17 > >> the same.
18 > >>
19 > >> I consider your question to be fragile and possibly quite dangerous.
20 > >> What are you trying to accomplish?
21 > >>
22 > >>
23 > >> --
24 > >> Alan McKinnon
25 > >> alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
26 > >>
27 > >>
28 > > Hi Alan,
29 > >
30 > > thanks for your reply.
31 > >
32 > > I want to lower the load on the official gentoo server(s).
33 > >
34 > > When the log of an eix-sync process is printed on the console, it is
35 > > said, that it is *suggested* (hrrm), to only sinc once a day. Since
36 > > the ARM and the PC both use the same DSL line, both syncs are seen by
37 > > the gentoo server(s) as it came from the same IP (the one of my ISP).
38 > > In the worst case, one could be blacklisted...which I dont want to be.
39 >
40 > I wouldn't worry about that at all.
41 >
42 > Gentoo infra is vastly more resilient than that, and there are several
43 > official hosts in some sort of cluster arrangement. I have minimally 4
44 > gentoo hosts here at home and many many times I've run --sync
45 > simultaneously on all of them 5-10 times a day, with not a peep out of
46 > infra. I don't do this deliberately, sometimes I forget just how
47 > powerful clusterssh can be :-)
48 >
49 > Plus our ftp server at work is a mirror for all of ZA with no special
50 > permissions, it syncs every hour.
51 >
52 > The message in --sync is, I believe, a holdover from long long ago that
53 > hasn't been valid for years. But it's left to discourage abuse. What you
54 > are doing is not abuse, it's normal activity. Many of us here have
55 > multiple gentoo installs.
56 >
57 > If you want to reduce the data downloaded, then by all means configure
58 > rsyncd to share the tree on the PC, and point the ARM to that. Don't
59 > worry about overlays, the amount of changed data from them is usually
60 > too small to worry about.
67 > > Especially with the ARM I need to sync once a day, since I have to
68 > > limit the amount of software to be recompiled/updated after each sync
69 > > since the ARM is not *that* fast (for example a kernel compilation
70 > > take ~8h). Ah, by the way: I quit crosscompilation, distcc and
71 > > such... Both successfully screwed up my gentoos on the ARM.
74 > > t regards,
75 > > mcc
83 > --
84 > Alan McKinnon
85 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
88 Hi Alan,
89
90 thanks a lot for the good news -- Gentoo is such an nice thing and
91 I didn't want to play the bad guy.
92
93 Best regards,
94 mcc