From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eix-sync data comparison
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 21:15:25
1 On 11/01/2014 22:44, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> [14-01-11 21:16]:
3 >> On 11/01/2014 22:04, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> suppose I would do an eix-sync on two different computers of different
7 >>> platforms -- say AMR and an ordinary PC.
8 >>>
9 >>> Are the downloaded data identical?
10 >>
11 >> the portage tree is identical everywhere
12 >>
13 >> the overlays that layman uses are identical everywhere, but possibly not
14 >> identical between your two hosts. I can easily imagine you have
15 >> different overlays between them, and no guarantee they will always be
16 >> the same.
17 >>
18 >> I consider your question to be fragile and possibly quite dangerous.
19 >> What are you trying to accomplish?
22 >> --
23 >> Alan McKinnon
24 >> alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
27 > Hi Alan,
28 >
29 > thanks for your reply.
30 >
31 > I want to lower the load on the official gentoo server(s).
32 >
33 > When the log of an eix-sync process is printed on the console, it is
34 > said, that it is *suggested* (hrrm), to only sinc once a day. Since
35 > the ARM and the PC both use the same DSL line, both syncs are seen by
36 > the gentoo server(s) as it came from the same IP (the one of my ISP).
37 > In the worst case, one could be blacklisted...which I dont want to be.
38
39 I wouldn't worry about that at all.
40
41 Gentoo infra is vastly more resilient than that, and there are several
42 official hosts in some sort of cluster arrangement. I have minimally 4
43 gentoo hosts here at home and many many times I've run --sync
44 simultaneously on all of them 5-10 times a day, with not a peep out of
45 infra. I don't do this deliberately, sometimes I forget just how
46 powerful clusterssh can be :-)
47
48 Plus our ftp server at work is a mirror for all of ZA with no special
49 permissions, it syncs every hour.
50
51 The message in --sync is, I believe, a holdover from long long ago that
52 hasn't been valid for years. But it's left to discourage abuse. What you
53 are doing is not abuse, it's normal activity. Many of us here have
54 multiple gentoo installs.
55
56 If you want to reduce the data downloaded, then by all means configure
57 rsyncd to share the tree on the PC, and point the ARM to that. Don't
58 worry about overlays, the amount of changed data from them is usually
59 too small to worry about.
66 > Especially with the ARM I need to sync once a day, since I have to
67 > limit the amount of software to be recompiled/updated after each sync
68 > since the ARM is not *that* fast (for example a kernel compilation
69 > take ~8h). Ah, by the way: I quit crosscompilation, distcc and
70 > such... Both successfully screwed up my gentoos on the ARM.
73 > t regards,
74 > mcc
83 Alan McKinnon
84 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com