From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eix-sync data comparison
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 20:44:29
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> [14-01-11 21:16]:
2 > On 11/01/2014 22:04, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > suppose I would do an eix-sync on two different computers of different
6 > > platforms -- say AMR and an ordinary PC.
7 > >
8 > > Are the downloaded data identical?
9 >
10 > the portage tree is identical everywhere
11 >
12 > the overlays that layman uses are identical everywhere, but possibly not
13 > identical between your two hosts. I can easily imagine you have
14 > different overlays between them, and no guarantee they will always be
15 > the same.
16 >
17 > I consider your question to be fragile and possibly quite dangerous.
18 > What are you trying to accomplish?
21 > --
22 > Alan McKinnon
23 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
26 Hi Alan,
27
28 thanks for your reply.
29
30 I want to lower the load on the official gentoo server(s).
31
32 When the log of an eix-sync process is printed on the console, it is
33 said, that it is *suggested* (hrrm), to only sinc once a day. Since
34 the ARM and the PC both use the same DSL line, both syncs are seen by
35 the gentoo server(s) as it came from the same IP (the one of my ISP).
36 In the worst case, one could be blacklisted...which I dont want to be.
37
38 Especially with the ARM I need to sync once a day, since I have to
39 limit the amount of software to be recompiled/updated after each sync
40 since the ARM is not *that* fast (for example a kernel compilation
41 take ~8h). Ah, by the way: I quit crosscompilation, distcc and
42 such... Both successfully screwed up my gentoos on the ARM.
45 t regards,
46 mcc