From: eroen <eroen@××××××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: eix-sync data comparison
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 02:07:05
1 On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 21:44:19 +0100, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > > On 11/01/2014 22:04, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3
4 > > > suppose I would do an eix-sync on two different computers of
5 > > > different platforms -- say AMR and an ordinary PC.
6 Sharing a portage tree (the files in /usr/portage) is perfectly safe,
7 as this is identical for basic gentoo systems (prefix and similar
8 are ...different. Best not go there ;-).
9
10 However, the eix database is not portable between different systems.
11 I do not have an exhaustive list of what settings cause
12 incompatibility, but at least different ARCH (amd64 or arm) will cause
13 issues since different packages are available to each.
14
15 > Especially with the ARM I need to sync once a day, since I have to
16 > limit the amount of software to be recompiled/updated after each sync
17 > since the ARM is not *that* fast (for example a kernel compilation
18 > take ~8h).
19 While that is not strictly enforced, I myself run an rsync server
20 locally, mostly to ensure that different systems have identical trees,
21 thus preserving my sanity.
22
23 Instructions for setting up a local rsync server can be found here:
24 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Rsync
25 To make a client (the arm box) sync from the local server, just change
26 the sync-uri variable in /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf and the
27 SYNC variable (if present) in make.conf .
28
29 You could even share a portage tree over nfs or similar, which I
30 sometimes do for VMs. Depending on your (networking and storage)
31 hardware, that might even work out favourably performance-wise. You
32 could also generate a squashfs image on the desktop and transfer that to
33 and mount it on the arm box (over http or something using a short
34 shell script), if, say, the arm box is limited on storage space. A
35 squashfs of the gentoo tree is about 70MB.
38 eroen