From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] opencl runtime
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 10:16:25
1 This message showed up after an update today:
2
3 * Messages for package virtual/opencl-3-r2:
4
5 *
6 * In order to take advantage of OpenCL you will need a runtime for your
7 hardware.
8 * Currently included in Gentoo are:
9 *
10 * * open:
11 * - dev-libs/intel-compute-runtime - integrated Intel GPUs from Broadwell
12 onwards. 64-bit only;
13 * - dev-libs/pocl - to run OpenCL programs on your CPU, if you do not
14 have a supported GPU;
15 * - dev-libs/rocm-opencl-runtime - AMD GPUs supported by the amdgpu
16 kernel driver. 64-bit only;
17 * - media-libs/mesa[opencl] - some older AMD GPUs; see [1]. 32-bit
18 support;
19 *
20 * * proprietary:
21 * - dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl - AMD Polaris GPUs. 32-bit support;
22 * - dev-util/intel-ocl-sdk - Intel CPUs (*not* GPUs). 64-bit only;
23 * - x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers[uvm] - Nvidia GPUs; specific package
24 versions
25 * required for older devices [2]. 32-bit support.
26 *
27 * [1] https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumCompute/
28 * [2] https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/legacy-gpu/
31 On a number of stable systems with a selection of different Northern Islands
32 to Sea Islands APUs/GPUs, I have media-libs/mesa installed in as a dependency.
33 Given the above message and noticing dev-libs/rocm-opencl-runtime is still in
34 testing, am I meant to keyword it and install it manually, or will it replace
35 mesa automagically some day in the future when marked as stable?