From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: [gentoo-project] With regard to udev stabilization
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 04:46:33
1 Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > LOL
5 >
6 > Now seriously:
7 >
8 > You should follow the discussion in -project. Someone (I forgot who
9 > exactly) has made a personal commitment to within a month produce a
10 > serviceable udev fork, at least a Proof of Concept. And IIRC, hwoarang
11 > is going to 'test the waters' with Debian people.
12 >
13 > So, this is not a pipe dream. It's happening, code will be produced,
14 > ... and I bet some people will get offended ;-)
15 >
16 > Rgds,
17 > --
20 I'm sure some will be offended but it's no different when we heard about
21 the change that was coming. A lot of us were not happy then either.
22 Thing is, we now have two paths. One that keeps the FHS like it was
23 with a separate /usr if we like and one where you have to have /usr on /
24 or use a initramfs thingy. Now both can be happy while this idea gets
25 tested. If the way udev is going flops, then they will come back. If
26 udev works out for a lot of people, we will have two ways to do things.
27
28 I think at some point, the new way will hit a road block and things will
29 break, maybe not for binary distros but for others. When that time
30 comes, they will have to try to figure out a way to get things back to
31 the way they were.
32
33 Time will tell tho. I'm just glad to see the project getting started.
34 Test both ways and see which one works out best.
35
36 Dale
37
41 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!