From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Monitoring network bandwidth utilization
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 16:28:23
1 Hi,
2
3 Not too long ago, I set up a router powered by Gentoo Linux and old
4 computer hardware. So far, it has worked like a charm and I am quite
5 pleased with my accomplishment.
6
7 I am quite active in various BitTorrent communities, however my ISP
8 doesn't take kindly to me eating all their precious bandwidth. Up
9 until now, I have been using a cheap little windows utility to monitor
10 monthly bandwidth and warn me if I go above my ISP's maximum.
11 However, this has become inaccurate due to my use of Windows network
12 shares. This machine now routinely records upload bandwidth in excess
13 of 300 gigabytes per month, however I do not know which part of that
14 is actually going to the interwebs.
15
16 My question is this: is there a utility in Portage that you could
17 recommend that would monitor bandwidth on a specific network
18 interface, send me monthly reports via email and warn me if I am using
19 too much bandwidth?
20
21 Thanks a bunch
24 Dan Cowsill