From: Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Monitoring network bandwidth utilization
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 01:51:16
1 On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Not too long ago, I set up a router powered by Gentoo Linux and old
5 > computer hardware. So far, it has worked like a charm and I am quite
6 > pleased with my accomplishment.
7 >
8 > I am quite active in various BitTorrent communities, however my ISP
9 > doesn't take kindly to me eating all their precious bandwidth. Up
10 > until now, I have been using a cheap little windows utility to monitor
11 > monthly bandwidth and warn me if I go above my ISP's maximum.
12 > However, this has become inaccurate due to my use of Windows network
13 > shares. This machine now routinely records upload bandwidth in excess
14 > of 300 gigabytes per month, however I do not know which part of that
15 > is actually going to the interwebs.
16 >
17 > My question is this: is there a utility in Portage that you could
18 > recommend that would monitor bandwidth on a specific network
19 > interface, send me monthly reports via email and warn me if I am using
20 > too much bandwidth?
21 I don't know about email reports, but have you check out this week's GMN? :
22
23 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/20080526-newsletter.xml
24 >
25 > Thanks a bunch