From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Monitoring network bandwidth utilization
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 12:46:43
1 On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> Not too long ago, I set up a router powered by Gentoo Linux and old
6 >> computer hardware. So far, it has worked like a charm and I am quite
7 >> pleased with my accomplishment.
8 >>
9 >> I am quite active in various BitTorrent communities, however my ISP
10 >> doesn't take kindly to me eating all their precious bandwidth. Up
11 >> until now, I have been using a cheap little windows utility to monitor
12 >> monthly bandwidth and warn me if I go above my ISP's maximum.
13 >> However, this has become inaccurate due to my use of Windows network
14 >> shares. This machine now routinely records upload bandwidth in excess
15 >> of 300 gigabytes per month, however I do not know which part of that
16 >> is actually going to the interwebs.
17 >>
18 >> My question is this: is there a utility in Portage that you could
19 >> recommend that would monitor bandwidth on a specific network
20 >> interface, send me monthly reports via email and warn me if I am using
21 >> too much bandwidth?
22 > I don't know about email reports, but have you check out this week's GMN? :
23 >
24 > http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/20080526-newsletter.xml
25 >>
26 >> Thanks a bunch