From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Having Trouble with Wireless Interface
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 13:22:25
1 On 05/15/2014 11:39 AM, Stroller wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 May 2014, at 12:36 pm, Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>>> …
4 >>>> If you like to check if RTL8192CE is enabled in your kernel's .config
5 >>>> file. If it isn't, you probably want to compile it as a module, and then
6 >>>> add rtl8192ce to /etc/conf.d/modules as well.
7 >>> Am pretty sure there's no need to add this one to /etc/conf.d/modules - IME it'll just be found and loaded automagically by the kernel.
8 >> Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware of that. As I mentioned in
9 >> my previous post, I do not use genkernel myself.
10 > Neither do I - for this reason I found it a little frustrating trying to help in a recent thread, myself.
11 >
12 > However, I'm pretty sure that loadable kernel modules behave the same whether your kernel is built "by hand" or by genkernel - if you have modules listed in /etc/conf.d/modules then I have to wonder if you really need them there.
13 >
14 > I haven't used that file for years, and I prefer to compile everything as a module, too.
15 >
16 > Stroller.
19 That's interesting. I wasn't aware of that either.
20
21 So far, I've just been following the instructions given in the handbook,
22 section 7.d, which do recommend explicitly specifying the kernel modules
23 to be loaded at boot time in /etc/conf.d/modules.
24
25 How does the kernel know then what modules to load at boot time, if it
26 doesn't rely on /etc/conf.d/modules to supply the list of modules to be
27 loaded?
28
29 Does it use udev, or some other mechanism for that?
30
31 Thanks.