From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Having Trouble with Wireless Interface
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 19:50:23
1 On Thursday 15 May 2014 14:24:57 Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
2 > On 05/15/2014 11:39 AM, Stroller wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 14 May 2014, at 12:36 pm, Alexander Kapshuk
4 <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >>>> …
6 > >>>> If you like to check if RTL8192CE is enabled in your kernel's .config
7 > >>>> file. If it isn't, you probably want to compile it as a module, and
8 > >>>> then add rtl8192ce to /etc/conf.d/modules as well.
9 > >>>
10 > >>> Am pretty sure there's no need to add this one to /etc/conf.d/modules -
11 > >>> IME it'll just be found and loaded automagically by the kernel.
12 > >>
13 > >> Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware of that. As I mentioned in
14 > >> my previous post, I do not use genkernel myself.
15 > >
16 > > Neither do I - for this reason I found it a little frustrating trying to
17 > > help in a recent thread, myself.
18 > >
19 > > However, I'm pretty sure that loadable kernel modules behave the same
20 > > whether your kernel is built "by hand" or by genkernel - if you have
21 > > modules listed in /etc/conf.d/modules then I have to wonder if you
22 > > really need them there.
23 > >
24 > > I haven't used that file for years, and I prefer to compile everything as
25 > > a module, too.
26 > >
27 > > Stroller.
28 >
29 > That's interesting. I wasn't aware of that either.
30 >
31 > So far, I've just been following the instructions given in the handbook,
32 > section 7.d, which do recommend explicitly specifying the kernel modules
33 > to be loaded at boot time in /etc/conf.d/modules.
34 >
35 > How does the kernel know then what modules to load at boot time, if it
36 > doesn't rely on /etc/conf.d/modules to supply the list of modules to be
37 > loaded?
38 >
39 > Does it use udev, or some other mechanism for that?
40 >
41 > Thanks.
42
43 I understand it is udev magic which probes the hardware and it fetches the
44 corresponding module from the kernel, as long as it has been compiled.
45 Incidentally, I noticed that I now have this running on my system:
46
47 /lib/systemd/systemd-udevd --daemon
50 Regards,
51 Mick