From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: distfiles contains extra files?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 17:16:17
1 Am 13.08.2014 um 18:46 schrieb James:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
5 >>> I previously thought that /usr/portage/distfiles
6 >>> only contains tar files. I have not clean up the
7 >>> system, as I'm moving (dupicating some files for my
8 >>> /usr/local/ needs.
9 >> It contains everything downloaded by ebuilds.
10 > I guess our ebuilds are getting creative on what they allow.....
11
12 no. They just download what is needed. If a package needs a seperate
13 patch. The patch is downloaded. If a needed package is only supplied as
14 a self extracting zip - aka exe. Then that is what portage will
15 download. Seriously, either get a life or have a look at the world at
16 large. Just because you 'think' something is doing something does not
17 mean it is true - or the correct way.
18 >>> I thought all patch files where kept in the subdirs where the
19 >>> ebuilds are located (files dir)? It is still where most *.patch
20 >>> files are located.
21 >> ISTR the policy is to only include smaller patch files in the tree, large
22 >> patches are downloaded to avoid everyone having to sync them.
23 > OK, but wny not put them in a subdir under the specific ebuild
24 > requiring those smaller patches? Seems to be a dumb move to me.
25 ARGH. WHY?
26
27 why put a unneeded subdir into distfiles that only makes things harder?
28
29 Or did you just ask to put $BIGPATCH into the tree?
30 >>> *.exe (like verdan32.exe webdin32.exe )
31 >> These are the installers for the MS corefonts.
32 > OK, why they need to be in /distfiles/?
33
34 because they are the way the files needed are distributed?
35
36 > seriously .exe
37 > files in a repository for sources? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
38
39 are you an idiot?
40
41 Seriously? distfiles is not for sources. IT IS FOR NEEDED FILES. Binary,
42 source. Does not matter.
43
44 > Let's just ignor the /bin/sbin and name it /sbinge
45 > as devs must be 'binge drinking' if this is our standard?
46 >
47 > /bin/ms/ ????? /usr/local/bin/ ????
48
49 yep, idiot.
50
51 not able to think about something, but critizing those who spent some
52 times to come up with it...
53
54 You can use eclean to remove obsolete distfiles and packages. But don't
55 use eclean on a shared $DISTDIR.
56
57 > Yes, agreed. But the point is this sort of stuff belongs in the file
58 > sub-tree under the ebuild that requires it, not as part of /distfiles/
59
60 the day, emerge --sync downloads 50mb binary packages because of some
61 fonts I never need, instead of downloading them when they ebuild is
62 installed and putting them into DISTDIR where they belong. Is the day I
63 will strangle someone.
64
65 Any other idiotic ideas?
66
67 >imho. From my perspective strowing random files into /distfiles/ puts
68 it in the category of "cruft". Do you agree or disagree? James
69
70 'cruft' because they are in a central, easily cleaned resporitory, and
71 only downloaded when needed versus scattered all over the tree and
72 pushed on everybody....
73
74 you are wrong. No way to agree with you. Nope.
75
76 Btw, these are not random files. As you should have understood as you
77 read Neil's and the others explanations. Or the handbook. Or manpages.