From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: distfiles contains extra files?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 16:46:52
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > > I previously thought that /usr/portage/distfiles
5 > > only contains tar files. I have not clean up the
6 > > system, as I'm moving (dupicating some files for my
7 > > /usr/local/ needs.
8
9 > It contains everything downloaded by ebuilds.
10
11 I guess our ebuilds are getting creative on what they allow.....
12
13 > > I thought all patch files where kept in the subdirs where the
14 > > ebuilds are located (files dir)? It is still where most *.patch
15 > > files are located.
16
17 > ISTR the policy is to only include smaller patch files in the tree, large
18 > patches are downloaded to avoid everyone having to sync them.
19
20 OK, but wny not put them in a subdir under the specific ebuild
21 requiring those smaller patches? Seems to be a dumb move to me.
22
23 > > *.exe (like verdan32.exe webdin32.exe )
24 > These are the installers for the MS corefonts.
25
26 OK, why they need to be in /distfiles/? seriously .exe
27 files in a repository for sources? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
28 Let's just ignor the /bin/sbin and name it /sbinge
29 as devs must be 'binge drinking' if this is our standard?
30
31 /bin/ms/ ????? /usr/local/bin/ ????
32
33 > > I guess I need "enlightenment" ?
34 > You can use whichever DE you prefer :)
35
36 U very funny! I use 'enlightenment' compliments to the
37 Bhagavad Gita. I actually has to read the English version
38 of the entire book and write a paper on it, in only 3 days.
39 Academically speaking I got 'enlightenment' from that
40 literarture class.......ymmv.
41
42 >> cleaning up distfiles/ by hand?
43
44 > You can use eclean to remove obsolete distfiles and packages. But don't
45 > use eclean on a shared $DISTDIR.
46
47 Yes, agreed. But the point is this sort of stuff belongs in the file
48 sub-tree under the ebuild that requires it, not as part of /distfiles/
49 imho. From my perspective strowing random files into /distfiles/
50 puts it in the category of "cruft".
51
52 Do you agree or disagree?
53