From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: distfiles contains extra files?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:07:35
1 On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 16:46:19 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > > I previously thought that /usr/portage/distfiles
4 > > > only contains tar files. I have not clean up the
5 > > > system, as I'm moving (dupicating some files for my
6 > > > /usr/local/ needs.
7 >
8 > > It contains everything downloaded by ebuilds.
9 >
10 > I guess our ebuilds are getting creative on what they allow.....
11
12 It's not what they allow, it's what they need.
13
14 > > > I thought all patch files where kept in the subdirs where the
15 > > > ebuilds are located (files dir)? It is still where most *.patch
16 > > > files are located.
17 >
18 > > ISTR the policy is to only include smaller patch files in the tree,
19 > > large patches are downloaded to avoid everyone having to sync them.
20 >
21 > OK, but wny not put them in a subdir under the specific ebuild
22 > requiring those smaller patches? Seems to be a dumb move to me.
23
24 In the portage tree? That idea sucks for several reasons. If you put them
25 in the tree, the next sync will delete them. If you have a shared
26 $DISTDIR, you will still have to download multiple times.
27
28 > > > *.exe (like verdan32.exe webdin32.exe )
29 > > These are the installers for the MS corefonts.
30 >
31 > OK, why they need to be in /distfiles/? seriously .exe
32 > files in a repository for sources? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
33
34 Where else would distribution files for software go but in distfiles? The
35 clue is in the name. It's distfiles, not srcfiles, it contains the raw
36 files needed to install the software, be that source or binary data.
37
38 > Let's just ignor the /bin/sbin and name it /sbinge
39 > as devs must be 'binge drinking' if this is our standard?
40
41 Now you're just being silly, these are fonts, not executables. They have
42 a .exe extension because they are self-extracting zip file for windows,
43 that doesn't mean we run them.
44
45 > > You can use eclean to remove obsolete distfiles and packages. But
46 > > don't use eclean on a shared $DISTDIR.
47 >
48 > Yes, agreed. But the point is this sort of stuff belongs in the file
49 > sub-tree under the ebuild that requires it, not as part of /distfiles/
50 > imho. From my perspective strowing random files into /distfiles/
51 > puts it in the category of "cruft".
52 >
53 > Do you agree or disagree?
54
55 Disagree, but you've probably already worked that out. Anything an ebuild
56 needs to download, be in source tarballs, binary archives or svn
57 checkouts, goes in $DISTDIR.
61 Neil Bothwick
62
63 Scrotum is a small planet near Uranus. True/False?