From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Duplicate USE flags
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 15:06:06
1 On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 5:10 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> Hello list,
4 >>
5 >> Can anyone tell me why we have two USE flags for the same thing? Geoloc and
6 >> geolocation both switch on geolocation but in different packages.
7 >>
8 >> This duplication caused me much head-scratching and needless extra work in
9 >> trying to install a plasma system without NetworkManager.
10 >
11 > Two different developers working on separate packages came up with
12 > similar looking USE flags. The GNOME team went with geoloc, while the
13 > KDE team went with geolocation.
14 >
15 > Contact the relevant developers or file a bug if you think they should
16 > be consolidated.
19 Just to add one note, this happens fairly often, and when people
20 notice we generally fix it. New USE flags pop up all the time,
21 because new ideas in software come up all the time...
24 Rich