From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PPPoE ADSL modem choice
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 12:05:02
1 On Monday, June 22, 2015 02:49:24 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > Not long ago I bought an Asus DSL-N14U and I've been impressed by its
5 > abilities, especially since it's quite cheap. One feature I particularly
6 > like is its guest networks (I have a lady of advanced years* next-door), of
7 > which it can establish three. But its logging feature is woefully limited,
8 > whether remote or local: I get lots of empty or incomplete log entries,
9 > which Asus says it can't improve. It has a few other minor bugs too.
10
11 Bugs are fun.... Especially when being electrocuted...
12
13 > Does anyone here know of a "professional" version of this modem, or an
14 > equivalent? I mean one that does the whole job, not just what it needs to do
15 > to get past the marketing department**. I'd like proper logs, and finer
16 > control over what traffic is allowed between wired and wireless LANs, and
17 > to/from the WAN of course. Even suitable Google search terms would be good.
18
19 Try Zyxel or Draytek.
20 Both generally support multiple SSIDs.
21 Draytek also provides support to redirect the logging to a syslog-server.
22
23 > PPPoA is not used here in the UK as far as I know.
24
25 Don't most ADSL modems/routers support both PPPoE and PPPoA?
28 Joost