From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PPPoE ADSL modem choice
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 15:42:10
1 On Monday 22 Jun 2015 14:04:43 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Monday, June 22, 2015 02:49:24 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Not long ago I bought an Asus DSL-N14U and I've been impressed by its
4 > > abilities, especially since it's quite cheap. One feature I particularly
5 > > like is its guest networks (I have a lady of advanced years* next-door),
6 > > of which it can establish three. But its logging feature is woefully
7 > > limited, whether remote or local: I get lots of empty or incomplete log
8 > > entries, which Asus says it can't improve. It has a few other minor bugs
9 > > too.
10 >
11 > Bugs are fun.... Especially when being electrocuted...
12
13 :-)
14
15 > Try Zyxel or Draytek.
16 > Both generally support multiple SSIDs.
17 > Draytek also provides support to redirect the logging to a syslog-server.
18
19 This Asus can also send logs to a server, and I did use it that way for a
20 while, but they contain the same info as its own logs - i.e. mostly nothing,
21 and only rarely anything useful.
22
23 > > PPPoA is not used here in the UK as far as I know.
24 >
25 > Don't most ADSL modems/routers support both PPPoE and PPPoA?
26
27 So it seems. I think that what I thought I knew is now either out of date or
28 just plain wrong.
29
30 The main difficulty in finding a suitable device is that all the descriptions
31 are given in only the vaguest terms. That's why I asked here.
34 Rgds
35 Peter