From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo on K6?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:26:35
1 James wrote:
2
3 >Hello,
4 >
5 >I have an old firewall (3 ether ports) on a amd K6 166MHz
6 >machine. It ran OpenBSD just fine, but, it's long overdue for
7 >a upgrade. I was considering Gentoo, but, with only 128 meg
8 >of ram, this old, tired machine might not be up to it.
9 >
10 >Is there a solution using Gentoo? Maybe a binary installation,
11 >specific for firewalls? I could use Debian(sarge) but
12 >I'd rather use gentoo, or a gentoo derivative. I'm not
13 >sure I'm ready to build everything on another machine
14 >and transfer it over, but I could use distcc during
15 >installation and to support maintenance compililations?
16 >
17 >An easy path to a (gentoo)firewall from an installation CD
18 >would be keen. A firewall is all the machine has to do.
19 >
20 >Ideas and thoughts?
21 >
22 >James
26 Hi,
27 Think you could check "home router" doc in Docs-section on w.g.o, but it
28 seems you only need a kernel, iptables and optionally some
29 firewall-config-system if you use such (shorewall comes in mind ;)
30 Could use a minimal system after install + logger, cron, etc. Check
31 iptables deps to see.
32 Plus use distcc if too slow.
33 HTH. Rumen

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature