From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gentoo on K6?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:56:33
1 Hello,
2
3 I have an old firewall (3 ether ports) on a amd K6 166MHz
4 machine. It ran OpenBSD just fine, but, it's long overdue for
5 a upgrade. I was considering Gentoo, but, with only 128 meg
6 of ram, this old, tired machine might not be up to it.
7
8 Is there a solution using Gentoo? Maybe a binary installation,
9 specific for firewalls? I could use Debian(sarge) but
10 I'd rather use gentoo, or a gentoo derivative. I'm not
11 sure I'm ready to build everything on another machine
12 and transfer it over, but I could use distcc during
13 installation and to support maintenance compililations?
14
15 An easy path to a (gentoo)firewall from an installation CD
16 would be keen. A firewall is all the machine has to do.
17
18 Ideas and thoughts?
19
20 James