From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Preventing a shared interrupt
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 00:08:04
1 >>>> > if your mobo does not supporting re-assigning interrupts: you can't.
2 >>>>
3 >>>> Would that be done in the BIOS?  There is a list of interrupts in the
4 >>>> BIOS and I can select either "Unassigned" or "Reserved" I think.  What
5 >>>> affect will reserving an interrupt have?
6 >>>>
7 >>>> - Grant
8 >>>
9 >>> I really don't know. Ask the support of your vendor ;)
10 >>
11 >> Fair enough.  Can you tell me why a motherboard would assign 2 devices
12 >> to the same IRQ when there are obviously many free ones?  Is it just
13 >> bad implementation?
14 >
15 > Looks like you have MSI support, so probably your hardware isn't
16 > ancient enough for interrupt sharing to be a problem in the first
17 > place.
18
19 OK. Do higher numbered IRQ's have priority over lower numbered ones?
20 I'm starting a new project where I'll build a super-minimal Gentoo
21 system and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about optimizing for
22 performance.
23
24 - Grant