From: Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kaudiocreator still giving me fits - added info
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:09:42
1 Colleen Beamer wrote:
2 > 2) I was successfully able to burn a data CD in KDE 3.5 with k3b
3
4 Writing normally occurs at a lower speed than reading. When mine
5 was dying, reading a CD went fine when running at low speed, but
6 the data rate dropped as soon as it started to gear up.
7
8 > 3) I was successfully able to rip the CD with kaudiocreator on my
9 > laptop (only problem here is that my music collection is on my
10 > desktop (this gives credence to the fact that it is not the CD).
11
12 You're talking about a different drive now. That makes it all the
13 more likely that the first drive is... of less quality.
14
15 > One additional fact. I nuked the kde 3.5 installation completely
16 > from my system and went back to kde 3.4. Then, kaudiocreator
17 > would not rip the CD.
18
19 You see, it is not the version of Kaudiocreator that matters.
20
21 > However, I was able to copy the original
22 > CD and then burn the tracks using k3b and then, kaudiocreator
23 > would rip the CD.
24
25 That shows that the original CD is somehow marginal, by production
26 fault or on purpose. The combination of a somewhat flaky CD with a
27 somewhat flaky drive is what will lead to errors. If you now
28 upgrade KDE again, the new Kaudiocreator will also rip the new CD.
29
30 That another OS with other reading software can handle the disk
31 fine, is not entirely relevant. Have you listened to the tracks it
32 produces?
33
34 > So, I reiterate, I don't think it is the CD drive. It must be
35 > either a setting that I don't have correct or it must have
36 > something to do with some quirk in kde and/or kaudiocreator.
37
38 Unlikely, as Kaudiocreator is just a front end. It probably uses
39 cdparanoia or cdda2wav to read the CD. (I don't own any audio CD
40 with which to try this.) Try using cdparanoia directly and see
41 whether it shows smilies all the way, or reports jitter and read
42 errors and what not. If so, try using cdda2wav with the --speed set
43 to a low value.
44
45 Cheers,
46