From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kaudiocreator still giving me fits - added info
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:10:20
1 Justin R Findlay wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 10:18:02PM +0200, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
3 >
4 >> Colleen Beamer wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Jun 23 22:04:15 localhost hdc: drive not ready for command
7 >>> Jun 23 22:04:15 localhost hdc: ATAPI reset complete
8 >>> Jun 23 22:05:15 localhost hdc: irq timeout: status=0x80 { Busy }
9 >>> Jun 23 22:05:15 localhost ide: failed opcode was: unknown
10 >>> Jun 23 22:05:15 localhost hdc: ATAPI reset complete
11 >>>
12 >> Your burner has broken down, is breaking down, or is flaky. I've
13 >> seen this: a month later it was dead. Before getting a new one, you
14 >> might try checking the connectors are seated properly.
15 >>
16 I don't mean to be "testy" here, but I'm still not convinced it is the
17 CD drive. And I now know it is not the CD. My reasoning:
18
19 1) The drive was working flawlessly in kaudiocreator prior to the
20 upgrade to KDE 3.5
21 2) I was successfully able to burn a data CD in KDE 3.5 with k3b
22 3) I was successfully able to rip the CD with kaudiocreator on my laptop
23 (only problem here is that my music collection is on my desktop (this
24 gives credence to the fact that it is not the CD). My laptop is running
25 KDE 3.4.3, but with an older kernel
26 4) On my desktop, I was able to rip the CD using Windows Media player
27 under Windows.
28
29 One other thing that is different from running kaudiocreator under kde
30 3.4.3 and running it under kde 3.5.2 is a kernel upgrade to
31 linux-2.6.16-gentoo-r9.
32
33 One additional fact. I nuked the kde 3.5 installation completely from
34 my system and went back to kde 3.4. Then, kaudiocreator would not rip
35 the CD. However, I was able to copy the original CD and then burn the
36 tracks using k3b and then, kaudiocreator would rip the CD. And the
37 tracks play just fine in amaroK.
38
39 So, I reiterate, I don't think it is the CD drive. It must be either a
40 setting that I don't have correct or it must have something to do with
41 some quirk in kde and/or kaudiocreator.
42
43 Regards,
44
45 Colleen