From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sda=stroke boot parameter
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 16:20:32
1 On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 02:13:05PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2020-10-09, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > All are in portage and easy to set up in a way that is shocking to anyone
4 > > used to GRUB.
5 >
6 > Grub's actually quite easy to set up if you skip all the auto-magical
7 > stuff and just manually create a grub.cfg file.
8
9 I always thought GRUB was very pleasant to configure, albeit it is the only
10 modern bootloader I've used with Linux. It has some quirks for older hardware,
11 but the Gentoo handbook has always had good coverage for ninety-nine percent of
12 use-cases [1], with a lot of additional information on the dedicated wiki page
13 [2].
14
15 Especially with `grub-mkconfig`, you don't have to manually edit configuration
16 files at all, which doesn't seem to be an option for users of LILO. As for
17 versatility, I don't think anything can touch GRUB; I've had surprising
18 successes with it on some very peculiar/arcane/archaic systems.
19
20 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Default:_GRUB2
21 [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2
25 Ashley Dixon