From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sda=stroke boot parameter
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 17:03:47
1 Ashley Dixon wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 02:13:05PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2020-10-09, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>> All are in portage and easy to set up in a way that is shocking to anyone
5 >>> used to GRUB.
6 >> Grub's actually quite easy to set up if you skip all the auto-magical
7 >> stuff and just manually create a grub.cfg file.
8 > I always thought GRUB was very pleasant to configure, albeit it is the only
9 > modern bootloader I've used with Linux. It has some quirks for older hardware,
10 > but the Gentoo handbook has always had good coverage for ninety-nine percent of
11 > use-cases [1], with a lot of additional information on the dedicated wiki page
12 > [2].
13 >
14 > Especially with `grub-mkconfig`, you don't have to manually edit configuration
15 > files at all, which doesn't seem to be an option for users of LILO. As for
16 > versatility, I don't think anything can touch GRUB; I've had surprising
17 > successes with it on some very peculiar/arcane/archaic systems.
18 >
19 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Default:_GRUB2
20 > [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2
24 I don't recall ever having issues with grub2 or the older one either.
25 As far as booting, my issue is those init thingys.  I don't like those
26 and I've had a lot of trouble making one that works and had them to fail
27 when booting.  If I could wave a magic wand, the init thingys would go
28 poof.  One thing I don't like much about grub2, it tries to be fancy.
29 It's a bootloader not a self driving car.
30
31 That said, I've thought about looking for a replacement for grub.  I did
32 like the old grub a lot.  For me, it was dang near drop dead simple.  If
33 I found something more like the old grub, well, I'd find that
34 interesting to look into.
35
36 Dale
37
39
40 P. S. Noticed Seamonkey is being a know it all, as usual.  Manually
41 forcing text only.  Now where's my hammer!!!